Please click below link to submit a question to be added to this page:
Below are some of the questions posted and answered:
Updated: March 29, 2020
1) Q: Will spring clubs be postponed until they start school again or will spring clubs just be cancelled. Just wondering if I should pay my balance.
A: Spring clubs will be cancelled.
2) Q:My child is enrolled in your Pre-K Program. Will I get reimbursed?
A: There will be a credit applied or a refund for those who paid in full for the year.
3) Q: I have not paid for MVP next month is it going to be pro rated or waived since school closed for a month?
A: It will be prorated.
4) Q: I have access to WiFi and all kinds of devices, but don’t own a printer. Should I come and pick up a hard copy at the school, considering so much of it is worksheets?
A: Packets will be available for K-2 students on Monday, March 16th between the hours of 11-1. This information is also linked online. Most MTES students went home with handouts on Friday. If you do not have a printer, it may be a good idea to pick up a packet. Moving forward students may be able to complete activities without the need to print. This is something we will address as we navigate through this online learning.
5) Q: Are you going to use these 2 week for mvp toward last 2 weeks in April or we need to pay for a full month?
A: They will be used for the last weeks in April. A full month will not be paid for.
6) Q: Will there be breakfast or lunch available for students for pickup or drop off, like other districts are doing?
A: All free and reduced students may pick up a lunch between the hours of 10am and 12 at MTES.
7) Q: Thank you for the comprehensive communications from administration and teachers! Would it be possible for a daily attendance recap to be sent to parents?
A: Please see parent letter for attendance information.
8) Q: Will the school closing change the last day of school?
A: No. Click link for information: NJDOE Broadcast March 13, 2020
9) Q: Are the after school clubs canceled completely?
A: Clubs will not take place from March 16-April 20.
10) Q: Will we get reimbursed for clubs?
11) Q: What is the plan for the employees (teachers, custodians, etc.)? If the kids are staying home because it’s the safest course of action, hopefully the same safety and respect will be extended to the adults.
A: There will be limited access to buildings by teachers. Other staff will be working on abbreviated schedule.
12) Q: How to get my daughter’s textbooks as she was absent on Friday, March 13?
A: Time will be available. Times will be sent to parents.
13) Q: Where and how will the virtual learning going to start, is there something we are logging into Monday for the kids ?
A: Home instruction begins Monday, March 16th. The first 5 days of instruction will be a review of important skills and strategies. This will allow students to get accustomed to the new learning structure without feeling overwhelmed with new content. Beginning, March 23rd, new instruction will commence via virtual learning. Homeroom teachers will be in contact with you regarding how to access lessons and activities.
14) Q: What if my daughter forgot her book in school?
A: Please go to school on Monday, March 16th between 11am-1pm to gather belongs.
15) Q: What will happen with PreK tuition due to this closure? Will there be a credit applied to accounts?
A: This will be something to be discussed with the BOE at our 6:30pm April 9, 2020 meeting.
16) Q: Will teachers be posting assignments throughout the day or will everything be listed every morning?
A: For the week of March 16-20, a week of review lessons will be pushed out. Beginning March 23 new instructional activities and directions will be pushed out daily via Google Classroom or teacher websites. Homeroom teachers will be in contact with their method of delivery.
17) Q: Will there be live/ scheduled instruction?
A: This is not mandated, but many of our teachers would like to utilize the Google Chat/Hangout feature. This is an area we will further explore as we roll out week 1 of home instruction.
18) Q: Does the home instruction require parent participation?
A: As we navigate a new learning platform for our students, parent participation is greatly appreciated. Days 1-5 will be a review, and new content introduced beginning March 23rd. Teachers are available for support remotely, however parent participation to assist is appreciated.
19) Q: My child received guidance counseling, occupational or physical or speech services. What will happen?A: The district is unable to provide most therapies via teleconferencing. Upon return we will make up any owed therapies or provide compensatory services during the summer. Our guidance counselor will provide resources through our website. You may reach out to staff via email with questions.20) Q: Each day will there be guidelines of work for students and were should parents be going?A: Yes, week 1 is review and activities have (or will be) posted. Beginning March 23rd new instruction will be pushed out daily. Please contact your child's teacher for more information.21) Q: What time does online instruction start?A: More information on timeframes and other policies and procedures regarding home instruction will be coming in the form of a parent letter. We are looking to release this no later than Monday, March 16th.22) Q: Will all tutoring and Greek god/goddess projects be cancelled?A: Tutoring will be canclled between March 16th and April 20th. For updates on projects and due dates, please contact your child's teacher.23) Q:Where and how will the virtual learning going to start, is there something we are logging into Monday for the kids ?A: Information will be posted.24) Q: When will online school classes begin and how will that process be assessed?A: Classes will begin on March 16th. Days 1-5 are review, new content and virtual learning will begin on March 23rd.25) Q: Will iPads work for online instruction with the teachers and students?A: Yes, students should be able to access Google Drive, Classroom and other apps on iPads. This may require new apps to be downloaded, but they should be free. If you have any further questions, please email your child's teacher.26) Q: What is going to happened money wise with mvp that it was paid by the end of this month?A: No refunds will be made.27) Q: Will we be in email communication daily or weekly with our child’s teacher?A: Teachers are available to respond to emails between the hours of 8:20-3:15. You are welcome to communicate with your child's teacher as needed.28) Q: Will the remote learning require kids to be at computers at precise times throughout the day, or will lessons be provided that children can do at the times most convenient for them and their families? Thanks for all that you are doing to get us through this!A: A parent letter is coming out no later than Monday, March 16th to outline this with specific details. We are required to track attendance therefore a plan is in place for JHES and MTES (not districtwide). Please see the letter that will be sent and if you have further questions please contact your child's teacher, or submit another question.29) Q: I have access to WiFi and all kinds of devices, but don’t own a printer. Should I come and pick up a hard copy at the school, considering so much of it is worksheets?A: Packets will be available for K-2 students on Monday, March 16th between the hours of 11-1. This information is also linked online. Most MTES students went home with handouts on Friday. If you do not have a printer, it may be a good idea to pick up a packet. Moving forward students may be able to complete activities without the need to print. This is something we will address as we navigate through this online learning.30)Q: What should we do with the 6th grade middle school registration packets?A: Parents can drop off in bin outside MTES.31) Q: Are we able to pick up musical instruments?A: Please pick up tomorrow, Monday, March 16th between 11am-1pm.32) Q: What will happen with MVP tuition?
A:MVP will be refunding all April payments that have already been processed. The remaining portions of the March payment will be an applied credit to cover the span of April 20-30.
33) Q: Since March MVP is paid will you credit unused days towards April?
A: Payments will be credited or refunded for these weeks
34) Q: Will there be reimbursement for March MVP?
A: Payments will be credited or refunded for these weeks.
36) Q: I think it needs to be taken into consideration that families are being impacted by COVID-19 in many different ways. (parents working from home, parents not able to work from home, family member affected by COVID-19, family members who are in the military and not able to return home, etc.) Are due dates for assignments flexible and are self-directed assignments (essays, reports, etc.) being graded?
A: Due dates will be flexible regarding student's circumstances. As long as students are working each day and getting the work done.
37) Q: Are the kids responsible for doing work from their “specials” teachers as well... ie.. art, world language etc or just math, reading and writing
A: It is suggeted, not mandatory.
38) Q: Are the kids responsible for doing work from their “specials” teachers as well... ie.. art, world language etc or just math, reading and writing
A: It is suggest, not mandatory.
39) Q: How do the kindergarten students sign in for attendance online? I have a printed copy of the attendance sheet?
A: Parents can print out the attendance sheet and return to school whenever we return or they can chose to make a copy of the Google Doc and complete as they go. It will be emailed or returned to school as well. Instructions are on the website.
40) Q: Can teachers contact parents when assignments are not completed. Additionally when an assignment concludes the student does not know the subject matter will the teacher Contact the student to teach them? Or contact the parent to teach the parent the material so the parent can teach the student?
A: JHES: This would not work at JHES since we won't know what wasn't completed until we return. Teachers will contact parents of those students they have not heard from or have not seen log in (ie. IReady).
MTES: Teachers should be contacting parents of students if work is not being completed and provide resources to assist such as i-ready tutorials, khan academy, website links.
41) Comment: It is a struggle for those of all still working but also playing the role of teacher to our children. I know this week is a review week. However, going forward, it would be very helpful to have teachers offer recorded videos explaining the content they are posting.
A:There are some teachers interacting with students via Zoom, Meet, Hangout, etc....We will suggest to our staff to record videos.
42) Q: Can you please provide more information about when the specials should be completed and how much time they should be spending on the activity. Many of the art activities would take more than one class period to complete. How are these being turned in?
A: The students are being encouraged via JHES morning announcements to follow their typcial cycle schedule. On days they have art, they should either choose an art activity or continue with a project they had started. Moving forward, specialists will continue to plan on their cycle schedule.
43) Q: Will there be morning announcements to keep the children with their routine?
A: JHES has begun sending out morning announcements and there is now a link on the JH website that has each days announcements. MTES will be up and running soon.
44) Q: Are you going to use these 2 week for mvp toward last 2 weeks in April or we need to pay for a full month?
A: They will be used for the last weeks in April. A full month will not be paid for.
45) Q: Will the children only use the iready, and Raz for learning or will there also be black board?
A: Please see your child's indivudal teacher's website.
46) Q: Is registration for next year still happening?
A: Yes. Please complete everything online. Click here: Online Registration
47) Q: Have you heard anything about the possibility of the closure extending through the end of the school year?
A: We have not been told. However, in case that type of information is delivered, we have begun planning for virtual end of the year events.48) Q: Have you heard anything about the possibility of the closure extending through the end of the school year?A: There has been no communication as such from the Governor's Office.49) Q: Thinking ahead are you making a plan to ease the kids back to school? I would imagine just like adjusting to school at home it will be an adjustment getting back to normal.A: We are in the process of putting a transition plan in place for a smooth return.50) Q: Is the home instruction for all specials optional or mandatory?A: Optional51) Q: For second graders this is their last year at John Hydock I'm wondering when it is safe if the school can plan a field day for them as one last celebration before they go to MTES?A: In the event, we do not open for the remaining part of the year, Administration has begun reviewing End of the Year activities that could take place virtually.52.) Q: Will mindfulness Monday affect the last day of school?A: Mindfulness Monday's will be: April 6, 27, May 4, 11, 18, June 1, 8, 15 - Due to Spring Break, we will not have Mindfulness Monday on April 20, we will have Mid Week Wednesday on April 22.