MTSD Board Goal 2:
- The Board will make measurable progress in diversity and equity. The board will serve as community leaders in the discussion on how to teach our children to live, learn, and work together in a vibrant and diverse world in which mutual respect is the foundation.
- The Board will create a board diversity equity commission
- The board will review Curriculum and Policy (Once a year)
- The board will review Equity Metrics
- The board will review monthly reports from the district on diversity and equity activities and programs
- The board will develop a three year vision commitment and goal to create a school climate in which variety by reason of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, physical appearance, social/economic class, family structure, physical or developmental abilities are considered assets and resources for personal and academic achievement.
Currently, the Diversity/Equity committee is in the district policy 0155 as every other committee. If there is a charter that is needed, I would like that it would be the same for any other MTSD committee.
I would like to make the following recommendations:
- Have 3 subcommittees
- Cultural Holidays
- Special Students
- School Activities
- Books List
- Social justice
- Presentations and Speakers
(2.) Diversity of Faculty/Admin/Staff
- Goals in recruiting a diverse teaching and administrative staff
- Professional development for staff related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Also including implicit bias.
- Create a position for a staff member to consistently focus on diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Training for staff to be culturally sensitive. And when decisions are being made that consideration is given to all family dynamics.
- Discuss incentives to recruitment and a support system to retention
- Building partnership with Colleges and Universities
(3.) Strategic Planning and Data Team
- Collect and analyze data
- Develop surveys for feedback
- Offer suggestions for recommendations
- Examine practices